Wednesday, March 3, 2010

Not Vegetarian, But Maybe Meatless Monday?

I was reading Gwyneth Paltrow's blog Goop, which I love, even though its a little more high brow than my life.  Its nice to dream though!  Anyways, in early February, she had a post about a new campaign kicking off called "Meat Free Mondays".  Yes, I said early February.  I'm so far behind in emails, google reader reading, etc. that I am still back in early February.  But, hopefully I will soon be able to bring my online life to within two weeks of my real-time life.  We shall see.  Back to Meat Free Mondays though.  I have considered going vegetarian numerous times.  I have even tried to actually do it a couple of times.  But, in the end, I always come back to meat.  I like meat.  I like chicken, I like steak, I even like pork sometimes.  But, I realize there are environmental reasons, health reasons and even some ethical reasons for not eating meat.  Its just so difficult to give it up completely!  But, this "Meatless Mondays" concept sounds doable.  Very doable.

Meat Free Mondays was started in the UK and it has now moved in to the US.  In all honesty, there are a lot of days when we don't have meat in our meals, but we would probably do ourselves good to give up meat at a meal where we would otherwise have it.  The campaign is based in environmental reasons, but with Bean's heart, I am also aware of the health issues related to eating meat, especially red meat.  Bean is not eating much meat at this point in life, but it is a good reminder to us to cut back on the red meat.

So, here's to Meat Free Mondays - or whatever day you choose it to be during the week.  Its great for the environment and great for your health!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for commenting on A Second Heart! I love to hear from readers and hope you will visit again!

And, Six Years Later - Marking the Good Times

Hello!  Long time no write on this blog.  I have always included a link to this blog on my email signature to keep people reading Bean...