Tuesday, March 16, 2010

No Feeding Tube, No Keys and a wonderful surprise...

The title gives it away, but the GI doc and the nutritionist in the GI department both agreed that Bean is NOT in need of a feeding tube, but is instead in need of more fat in her diet.  I definitely need to save this information to show Bean in the future, as its not often that docs are telling you to eat more fat in your diet.  They think she may have just got used to her hunger being driven by the steroids she was on post-transplant and for both her bouts of rejection, and now that her dosage of steroid is pretty low, she just doesn't feel the same level of hunger, so she doesn't eat as much.  So, they are prescribing some Periactin (an antihistimine that has a side effect of boosting appetite) for her and said to just make sure to give her very tasty and good fat fatty foods, like salted butter, avocado, etc.  They said to feed her whatever she likes right now.  So, she has eaten some chocolate pudding, tapioca (we went to Fresh Choice for lunch yesterday), cinnamon-raisin bread with butter, french bread with butter, a cookie (from Grandma last night), and her usual cheerios, baby food, baby cereal, etc.  She seems to be eating pretty well right now, so hopefully she will gain some weight in the next few weeks.  Her next biopsy is on the 30th of March, which gives her two weeks to gain some poundage!  I am just extremely thankful that I don't have to think about the prospect of a feeding tube!  Whew...


In addition to not having a feeding tube, we also have no keys to my truck.  It seems that between arriving at my parent's house after the doctor's appointment yesterday and getting ready to leave a few hours later, my keys left this universe.  That's right.  We made it home from the docs with keys, did not leave the house - really stayed in two rooms in their house - and we searched high and low and could not find them.  The only thing we could think was that I dropped them getting out of the car (a coffee cup fell out and started rolling away and I bent over to catch it...) and someone walked by and picked them up.  It sounds ridiculous to me...but, its really the only thing I can think of.  That or they were in the street and got run over and stuck in a tire and carried away - but that sounds even more ridiculous.  So, my hubby and friend had to drive to my parent's from my house - a two hour plus jaunt.  At least we had an extra set of keys...but, its still very weird...We didn't end up getting home last night until after midnight because of the key disappearance...long day...


But, when I got home, I was WONDERFULLY surprised by a spotless house!  Hubby and our friend spent yesterday cleaning, doing laundry, rearranging the bedroom furniture, unpacking the last of our moving boxes (yes, we moved in October and still had boxes), and even framing a great poster I bought while Bean was in the hospital in June and I never got framed.  It is now hanging above our bed!  The bed had the new bedding I had bought a couple of weeks ago on it (microfiber sheets - all I can say is get them!  So soft!) AND the mountain of laundry is now barely a molehill!  It was AMAZING!  Such a relief...and I really feel like I can get so much done now this week with that monkey of cleaning off my back!  They are truly amazing for doing that...


On a side note, I would like to share a resource with those of you who have young children.  I have been watching "A Place Your Own" on PBS and if you are looking for information, activity ideas, parenting advice, etc. it is a great resource that you should check out.  They have an online page as well if you can't tune in to the show.  

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for commenting on A Second Heart! I love to hear from readers and hope you will visit again!

And, Six Years Later - Marking the Good Times

Hello!  Long time no write on this blog.  I have always included a link to this blog on my email signature to keep people reading Bean...